Saturday, July 8, 2006

April 1, 2006 - Telling Family and Friends about the Surrogacy

Hi!

I thought I would take this time to share with you the reactions of people.

I chose to be open about my surrogacy. As far as the couples identity, color, nationality, religion, and sexual preference, that is personal and private, and basically not important as far as I am concerned. I will choose to work with a couple whose profiles are similar to mine and go from there.

Majority of the people I have told think that its a great thing I am doing. Many people have friends who have had problems conceiving.

I had probably 2 negative people. The first was a nurse at the local ER. I didn't ask her opinion, I was just wanting to know where the closest Level 3 hospital was. She got on me about ethical and moral issues. That just irritated me. It didn't change how I felt but I know that I'm going to stay clear of people like her. lol The other negative was a local friend who was against being a surrogate for gays and lesbians. She really had a lot to say, which of course, I wasn't interested in hearing because her views were obviously closed minded. So another person to stay clear of. lol

First reactions from some friends were "How much money are you going to get?" Ok, I thought that was a bit rude, but ok, respect what comes out of their mouth. lol

I told my oldest daughter who is 9 what I wanted to do about a month ago. She thought it was neat and asked if she could tell her friends.

My oldest son, 12, said ok. He didn't seem to care too much. lol

My 4 yr old said that it was fine, BUT no more kids living here because baby (18 months) is enough for him to handle. lol He also mentioned that there weren't enough rooms in our new home for more babies.

The baby is too young to tell. lol

DH told his parents what I was doing before we left for CA. He also explained to his dad that it would be someone elses egg and sperm, nothing from me or him. OK. So when we get back from CA, his dad calls him to say that his mom and him approve of my decision to be a surrogate. His dad also said his mom asked are the parents ok if the baby comes out Chinese? (lol, I'm 100% Chinese, btw) What made this even funnier...my MIL is a nurse!

My birth aunt (I was adopted at birth, btw) was a bit upset with me for being a surrogate for strangers, but as I told her I would not do this for family or friends. I think doing it through a good agency was my best route. My birth aunt has been wanting children of her own and has not been able to conceive. I really feel for her but I think for me there would be more issues to deal with...and problems waiting to happen. Not a chance I want to take.

Overall, I think the reaction/responses have been good. Many people haven't heard of surrogacy or have never known someone who has done this before, so they are just as excited for me and to follow my journey. So I am happy about that.

For those following my journey, I hope that you enjoy reading about my journey and share in the excitement.

No comments:

Post a Comment