Saturday, July 8, 2006

June 4th, 2006 - Surrogate & IP Retreat Weekend!

What a blast! Can't wait until next year! I had the best time of my life and I know now that I made a wonderful decision to be a surrogate, plus I have a great IP!

I was lucky to get a direct flight out on Northwest. Got there and waited outside for the Agency's white van. I panicked when it passed me and I thought I would have to wait another hour for the next one. Turns out that they van had been circling LAX for a while picking up Surrogates. I too had my turn of riding in circles in the van around LAX. lol Got to meet a bunch of surrogates, newbies and returning ones. I felt like we all bonded...some of the gals who I will keep in touch with too.

Was able to check in to the hotel when we go there. I was sort of sad because my roommate did not show up...maybe she was too pregnant or something. So I had a room to myself.

There was a pampering session for the surrogates before our dinner. Some had manicures while others had hand or foot massages. I choose the hand massage. During this time, the Agency brought in a cart FULL of assorted size boxes from CRATE AND BARREL!!! These gifts were part of a Get To Know You for the agency of the surrogates. We all got to choose a box, put our name on it and on Sunday, when we turned in our assignment, we would get our gift. Inside those boxes where gifts worth $25+ with one having a $500 gift card! No...I didn't get the gift card! Bummer. lol But I got some cute cookie cutters!

Dinner was fun. Met more surrogates. Ate some great food. Then went back to my room to crash.

On Saturday morning there was a breakfast for the Surrogates and Intended Parents. We were told to sit close to the buffet because the lines were long. So my IP and I did! lol It was a lot of fun. Not everyone's surrogate or IPs were able to come. There were some surrogates who IPs were from out of the country. Thought that was neat. You know, it was sort of like family day at camp and everyone's parents attend but yours! kwim? Umm...that would be me. Thank goodness my IP was there, as he actually lives in CA. :) Nice for me!

The speaker at breakfast was the president of the Family Pride Coalition. Her speech was just motivating and made you realize your responsiblity to society to educate others about our growing community. And I do feel that as a surrogate I can help to do just that.

Something interesting.....the speaker mentioned about a study done where 23% of our children live with two parents, and obviously this study was done on a family with heterosexual parents.

Lunch was fun. Got to visit more with my IP and others. The speakers were IPs (a couple and a single father), a surrogate, and an egg donor. Gosh, I can't remember if I forgot anyone. lol It was facilitated by the Owner & CoFounder of the Agency. It was awesome...so was the food. (OMG, we ate good for three days!) Just to be in the room with all the people was just incredible. There was so much love...so much feeling in this room. All I know...I was thinking that I'm glad I was not pregnant because anything anyone said/shared, I could feel the tears coming to my eyes. OMG...it was just incredible.

Backing up to breakfast. They introduced the employees from the Agency, everyone involved in making this retreat possible....then they had the Intended Parents stand up...and last but not least...the Surrogates. Just remembering this and writing this still brings emotional tears to my eyes! You just had to be there. It was the best feeling to be part of all of this...to be there...to be part of making it possible for these people to become parents. It was a room full of love and happiness, forget about your troubles, problems and hate in our world. There just was NO ROOM for anything but love and happiness. The positive energy in the room was definately felt by all. My tears of joy were also because as I looked around the room at all the Surrogates, I realized what amazing women they are for what they are doing. Not anyone can be a surrogate. It takes a very special person to be a surrogate. I am very proud to be part of this community. Side note: Its sort of funny if you think about it...the surrogate can be a very powerful person! Our IPs need us! LOL I'm so glad my IP has a great sense of humor.

Ok...so that was Breakfast and Lunch. Dinner was on the roof top. Gorgeous view and wonderful dinner and desserts! lol BUT, man, it was SUNNY and hot up on the roof! lol

Oh, I guess it would be nice to talk about the seminars/classes that they had for the surrogates. Well we got gifts in each one...that was fun. lol The things they had for us were fun. Learned a lot, got to visit with people.

There was time before dinner to walk around. So a friend, my IP and I walked down to Santa Monica Blvd. Was a nice walk until we had to walk back! Walking up that HILL was a workout. I think that was more work then SEX! (LOL TMI???) It was fun visiting.

Sunday came. It was sad for the weekend to come to an end. The retreat ended at the House of Blues. We all met in the lobby. I was on the first van run to LAX. I was also excited to find out that 4 other surrogates were on my flight as they had connecting flights in Minneapolis! Anyways...loaded our stuff in the van and then took off for the House of Blues. I was smart...I rode with my IP. I learned about walking the day before. lol

The House of Blues was a blast. It was Sunday Brunch and there was a gospel band there. Reminded me a lot of New Orleans (one of the many places I went to college, lol). The food was good. It was a great time there. And then it was time to go to LAX.

It was sad to go. Sad to leave my new friends and hope to cross paths with them again...possibly at next years retreat. Sad to say bye to my IP, but I will see him again for the transfer. What a sweetie...he got pastries for the kids. YUMMY!!!! The gals and I stuck our fingers in some of it on the way home to try it. Heck, didnt think the kids would mind...they eat anything! LOL

The flight home was a lot of fun. A lot of chatting and laughing. Three of us got to sit together, so that made the time on the flight go fast.

I wish I could name names of people at the agency here but I am not sure what I can say or not. All I know is that I am truly impressed with everything and each of the employees at the Agency. I am rather shy...ok, not as outgoing as some of the others there...so I didn't really get to know many of the Agency workers as some, but I watched them and listened to them. (LOL, I hope that doesn't make me a stalker!) They are so lucky to have the jobs that they do. I tell you, I would someday love to be a case manager for the agency. (I used to be a case manager for many years for the State of MN, that I think it could happen!) The agency put on a great retreat! And while I am 38 now, I hope that I will be able to be a surrogate 1 or 2 more times...yeah, so I can go to the retreat. lol

I was happy to be back in MN...and home to my family. It truly was a great weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment